BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- This Family Bet It All on Bitcoin
- Clearinghouses Pass CFTC Liquidity Stress Tests
- President Trump Admits He’s Trying to Kill Obamacare. That’s Illegal.
- Trump Plunges Down List of ‘America’s Richest’
- Is Trump’s “Foreclosure King” in Over His Head?
- FBI Arrests NCAA Basketball Coaches and Adidas Rep in Bribery Probe Involving Recruitment
- Equifax CEO Steps Down Amid Hacking Scandal
- Litigation Costs to Rub Salt in RBS Investor Wounds
- RIAs Poised to Land Wirehouse Recruits - Dan Jamieson
- Citibank and U.K. Affiliate to Pay $550K Penalty for Swap Data Reporting Violations - CFTC
- AIG to Restructure into 3 New Units, Marking CEO's First Big Move
- Accounting Firm Deloitte Says It Suffered Cyberattack (subsc reqd)
- Upcoming FINRA Board Meeting and FINRA360 Update
- Elizabeth Warren Lifts Hold on Trump DOJ Antitrust Nominee
- Bigger Mergers Narrow Indy Reps' Options, Alter IBD Channel - Dan Jamieson
- Dentons to Merge with U.K.'s Murray & Spens
- BigLaw Hogan Lovells Announces Hundreds of Buyouts, Layoffs - Almost 500 Affected
- Faith-Based Advisor Censured for Selling Class A Shares to Clergy
- After FINRA Bar, CFP Board Suspends Texas Advisor
- iCapital Network to Acquire U.S. Private Equity Access Fund Platform from Deutsche Bank
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
CIBC is Expanding its U.S. Operations
[Photo: by Nathan Denette / The Canadian Press]
It looks like Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce will be acquiring PrivateBancorp in a deal valued at $4.9 billion. CIBC, the 5th-largest bank in Canada, needed to sweeten its initial offer for the Chicago-based financial institution by about 20%. While at least one KBW analyst thinks the latest offer is still too low, the deal has the blessing of both boards and is expected to close in the next couple of months.
PrivateBancorp’s profile fits perfectly into CIBC’s plans to expand its commercial and private banking business in the U.S. and leverage its wealth-management platform in the country. PrivateBancorp has about $20 billion in assets, and serves largely middle-market companies, business owners and wealthy families.
PrivateBancorp’s President Larry Richman is enthusiastic about joining CIBC and said: “We look forward to closing the transaction as expeditiously as possible."