BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- FINRA Board of Governors - Election Notice
- Trump Signs Biggest Rollback of Bank Rules Since Financial Crisis
- SEC Commissioners Hold Investor Town Hall in Atlanta
- SEC Proposes FAIR Act Rules to Promote Research Reports on MFs, ETFs, Other Funds
- FINRA Markup/Markdown Analysis Report - Phone Workshop, WebEx Presentation
- NASAA Announces Coordinated International ICO and Crypto Crackdown
- New York Investment Advisor Settles SEC Insider Trading Charges
- Supreme Court Backs Companies Over Worker Class-Action Claims
- Bank of America Introduces Erica, Its AI Financial Assistant
- Banks Are Getting Another Volcker Rule Win
- Citigroup to Pay $7.3Mn Fine for Substandard IPO Work
- FINRA Stretches Definition of Participating in a Private Securities Transaction - Bill Singer
- Post Mortem Auto-Pilot Trading Sends Stockbroker's Career into Head-On Regulatory Crash
- Wells Fargo Has Shown Us Its Contemptible Values
- UBS to Counter Trading Troubles With M&A Work
- SEC Moves Quickly To Shut Down Fake Pre-IPO Share Scam
- SEC Testimony: Oversight of the SEC Division of Enforcement
- FINRA Modifies 'Agency Debt Security' in Rule 6710
- Is Jamie Dimon Doing a U-Turn on Bitcoin?
- After New Yorker's Racist Rant Goes Viral, His Law Firm Gets Pummeled with 1-Star Yelp Reviews
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Cowen Group to Buy Brokerage Firm Convergex for $116Mn
[Photo: Jeffrey Solomon and Eric Noll]
Days after getting a $275 cash infusion, The Cowen Group is now acquiring Convergex Group for $116 million.
- CEFC China Energy is acquiring a 20% stake in Cowen and providing $175 million in debt financing [Financialish, 3/31/17];
- Cowen, a diversified financial services firm and, together with its consolidated subsidiaries, provides alternative investment management, investment banking, research, and sales and trading services through its two business segments;
- Convergex, owned by PE firm GTCR, BNY Mellon and others, is an agency-focused global brokerage and trading related services provider with a deep client base of 2,500 hedge funds, asset managers, broker-dealers, trusts and exchanges.
- Convergex’s business units include equity sales and electronic trading, commission management, prime services and global clearing.
Cowen President Jeffrey Solomon had this to say: “The addition of Convergex’s global platform will also establish meaningful scale for Cowen’s equities business by significantly bolstering our capabilities in prime services, commission management, algorithmic and electronic trading, as well as clearing services.”
Convergex President and CEO Eric Noll said: “The ability to combine with a great research based firm like Cowen, which has complementary businesses with minimal client overlap, creates a tremendous opportunity for our people and our clients. By forging this combination with enhanced experience and expertise, our respective clients will now have access to a wider array of global offerings and innovative solutions.”