BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- Credit Suisse Fully Compliant on Sanctions: CEO
- Ex-UBS Metals Trader Beats Spoofing Conspiracy Charge
- Investment Advisor, WCAS Management Corp, To Pay Nearly $800K Over Conflicts of Interest
- Altaba, fka Yahoo!, to Pay $35Mn for Failing to Disclose Massive Cybersecurity Breach - SEC
- SEC Formerly Bars Martin Shkreli from Industry
- HF Billionaire Steve Cohen Buying Into Fintech Start-Ups
- Deutsche Bank Is Weighing Massive Cuts in Its U.S. Cash Equities Unit
- Richard Jenrette, Co-Founder of DLJ Investment Bank, Dies at 89
- Goldman Sachs Makes First Hire in Cryptocurrency Markets Unit
- Special FINRA Election to Fill Large Firm Governor Vacancy
- Chicago-Based Investment Adviser Sentenced to 151 Months in Prison - SEC
- Dun & Bradstreet Hit With FCPA Violations - SEC
- SEC Charges Additional Defendant in Fraudulent ICO Scheme
- Warren Buffett Simply Blew it on Wells Fargo Stock: Dick Bove (Video)
- Barclays and Deutsche Bank to Lag U.S. Trading Peers
- NY AG Schneiderman Seeks to Close Loophole That Could Let Trump Pardons Block State Charges
- 'Fearless Girl' is Moving to NYSE After Year Staring Down 'Charging Bull'
- What's In Your Wallet - American Express Shares Soar After Earnings Release
- Deutsche Bank's Executive Departures Continue Following Change in CEO
- Reflections of an Economist Commissioner (SEC's Piwowar)
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Financialish ‘Hall of Shame’ - Broker-Dealer Induction Ceremony
By Howard Haykin
Today, Financialish.com introduces its “HALL OF SHAME,” featuring broker-dealers that we believe were complicit in the abuse of elderly customers.
A broker-dealer is eligible for election to the Financial Hall of Fame if it satisfies the following criteria:
- One or more of the firm’s registered representatives were named in a settled compliant that appeared in a FINRA Monthly Disciplinary Actions report.
- The complaint(s) involved one or more elderly customers of the firm.
- Such customer(s) suffered significant financial losses.
- The financial abuse was carried out over a relatively prolonged period.
- The firm failed to take timely action so as to prevent or deter the financial abuse - even though firm principals were aware, or should have been aware, of the financial abuses, given that typical or basic supervisory reviews would have raised numerous ‘red flags’.
- The firm escaped FINRA sanctions for its so-called ‘complicity’.
In making its determinations, Financialish took into consideration relevant settlement documentation – ‘Orders Accepting Offer of Settlement’ or ‘Letters of Acceptance, Waiver and Consent’ (AWCs) – as well as applicable FINRA BrokerCheck records.
MAY 2017 INDUCTEES:
K.C. WARD FINANCIAL. Registered rep Broker Craig Dima was charged with unauthorized and unsuitable trades, including the numerous sales and buybacks of the customer’s long-term holdings in Colgate-Palmolive stock.
BAY MUTUAL FINANCIAL. Registered rep Christopher Ariola was charged with unsuitable recommendations, loading up customer accounts with high risk gold and energy stocks.
CAMBRIDGE INVESTMENT RESEARCH. Registered rep Curtis Randle El was charged with unsuitable recommendations from February through September 2014, effecting short-term trades in Class A mutual fund shares and Unit Investment Trusts (UITs).
WELLS FARGO ADVISORS. Registered rep Matthew Maczko, was charged with excessive trading in customer accounts from 2009 to 2016.
FINANCIAL WEST GROUP. Registered rep Kelly Althar was charges with high volume trading in customer accounts from 2011 to 2014.
STIFEL, NICOLAUS. Registered rep Harold Pomeranz was charged with unsuitable short-term trading of Unit Investment Trusts (UITs).