BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- Canada's CIBC Completes $5Bn PrivateBancorp Buy
- Word ‘Women’ Literally Never Appears in U.S. Senate’s 142-Page Health-Care Bill
- Stephen Pierce, Goldman Sachs Global Head of Equity Markets, To Retire
- Al Gore 'Not Very Smart,’ But Became Filthy Rich Using Simple Investing Formula - Charlie Munger
- U.S. Regulators, Lawmakers Support Volcker Rule Revamp at Hearing
- Morgan Stanley Opts for Frankfurt as New EU Hub
- A New Risk for Goldman, Morgan Stanley in Stress Tests (subsc reqd)
- A Trump Bump for Law Firm of President’s Lawyer - Kasowitz Benson Torres
- JPMorgan, BofA, Goldman, Citi, Wells Fargo Pass Fed's Stress Test
- Blackstone Stock Still Trading at $31 - Its IPO Price From 10 Years Ago
- NJ Resident and NY-Based Global FX Club Charged with Solicitation Fraud, Misappropriation - CFTC
- Senate Republicans Release Plan to Replace Obamacare - The Details
- Berkshire Hathaway Throws $1.5Bn Lifeline to Canada's Home Capital
- Inside Nomura: Day in the Life of a Junior Banker
- Inside Travis Kalanick’s Resignation as Uber’s C.E.O.
- Creative Planning, KS Investment Firm, Spurring Change on Wall Street
- SEC Obtains Judgment Against Attorney Who Defrauded Escrow Clients
- SEC Files Fraud Charges Against Stock Promoters in Market Manipulation Scheme
- Power Lunches and Dinners in New York, London, Washington
- Banks to Cut $1.2Bn in Research Spending, Analyst Jobs - McKinsey
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
LPL Financial Enjoys Big Gains in Stock Market
On a day when most financial stocks lost money, LPL Financial Holdings had a huge day closing at $42.48 a share, up 10.28%. While the $3.96 jump in share price - including after-hours trading - could not be directly attributed to any transaction, we came across 2 stories featuring the company:
- LPL Awaits Fiduciary Rule ‘Disruption, After Profit Drop (WSJournal, 4/27 6:18 pm)
- LPL Financial’s Earnings Decline (Barron's, 4/28 1:13 pm)
Here's what we learned from those articles. LPL Financial just reported its Q1 earnings, which exceeded analyst expectations even though they fell from one year earlier. In terms of dealing with the transitory nature of the fiduciary rule, LPL Financial expects the rule to eventually take effect and benefit its business. While the firm has been pushing its business toward fee-based revenues, it will nonetheless permit its brokers to continue charging commissions - subject to certain restrictions. This is unlike the approach that Merrill, JPMorgan and other rivals are taking, and the firm is confident that this different approach will work to its benefit.