BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- New Law Bans Kaspersky Software from Use in U.S. Government
- I Owned Bitcoin For a Weekend and Here's What I Learned
- SEC Appoints New Chair and Board Members to PCAOB
- FINRA, Georgetown Team Up to Deliver 'Certified Regulatory and Compliance Professional' Program
- FINRA Board Meeting - This Week's Agenda
- Statement on Cryptocurrencies and Initial Coin Offerings - SEC Chair Clayton
- Company Halts Initial Coin Offering Over SEC Registration Concerns
- Kevin O'Leary Explains One Big Thing People Don't Understand About Bitcoin (But Need To)
- CME Bitcoin Futures: A Better Way to Buy (or Short) Bitcoin?
- Address at ICI's 2017 Securities Law Developments Conference - SEC Commissioner Stein
- New York Pension Fund Seeks More Pay Disclosure from Wells Fargo
- Wells Fargo Sanctions Are on Ice Under Trump Official
- Josh Brown: Here's How to Buy Bitcoin, But Realize It Could Be One Giant Bubble
- Trump's New Tax Plan Could Cost Citigroup $20 Billion
- Morgan Stanley Fires Former Congressman Harold Ford Jr.
- Al Franken Will Resign Over Sexual Misconduct Allegations - His Full Resignation Speech
- Ex-NFL Player Gets 40 Years for Running $10Mn Fraud
- Bitcoin Blows Past $15K, Adding $2K in Under 12 Hours
- Financial Adviser Settles Charges for Defrauding Private Equity Fund Investors
- New Cross Market Equity Supervision Report Cards - FINRA Phone-In Workshop, WebEx Presentation
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
LPL Financial Enjoys Big Gains in Stock Market
On a day when most financial stocks lost money, LPL Financial Holdings had a huge day closing at $42.48 a share, up 10.28%. While the $3.96 jump in share price - including after-hours trading - could not be directly attributed to any transaction, we came across 2 stories featuring the company:
- LPL Awaits Fiduciary Rule ‘Disruption, After Profit Drop (WSJournal, 4/27 6:18 pm)
- LPL Financial’s Earnings Decline (Barron's, 4/28 1:13 pm)
Here's what we learned from those articles. LPL Financial just reported its Q1 earnings, which exceeded analyst expectations even though they fell from one year earlier. In terms of dealing with the transitory nature of the fiduciary rule, LPL Financial expects the rule to eventually take effect and benefit its business. While the firm has been pushing its business toward fee-based revenues, it will nonetheless permit its brokers to continue charging commissions - subject to certain restrictions. This is unlike the approach that Merrill, JPMorgan and other rivals are taking, and the firm is confident that this different approach will work to its benefit.