BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- Louisiana Adviser Barred for Hiding Losses from Investors
- Connecticut HF Manager Illegally Diverted Investor Money - Now Owes Nearly $13Mn
- White House Cleaning House of Advisors Without Full Security Clearance
- Goldman Projects 30% Growth in Wealth Management Advisor Force
- Whistleblower Alleges Manipulation of CBOE Volatility Index
- FINRA Looking Into VIX (CBOE Volatility Index) Manipulation: WSJ
- Atlanta-Area Resident Charged with Misusing Investor Funds - SEC
- FINRA Announces 2018 West Region Networking Seminar
- Alberto Arevalo, Associate Director in Office of International Affairs, to Retire From SEC
- A Culprit for Financial Site Glitches: You and Your Apps
- Investor Protection, Capital Formation and Market Integrity Are Top Priorities in SEC Budget Request
- We Must Stop Out-Of-Control Trading or U.S. Capitalist System Will Break Down - Dick Bove
- SEC Launches Share Class Selection Disclosure Initiative to Encourage Self-Reporting and the Prompt Return of Funds to Investors
- BofA CEO Moynihan Got $23Mn Compensation for 2017 – a 15% Pay Raise
- Former Credit Suisse ‘Star’ Gets 5-Year Jail Term For "Clever Fraud"
- FINRA: Perspectives on Customer Arb Award Recovery
- FINRA: Amend Membership App Program to Incentivize Arbitration Award Payments
- Goldman's #2 Allegedly Swindled Out of $1.2Mn of Wine by Assistant
- FINRA Publishes Annual Budget Summary - No Fee Rate Increases for Member Firms
- CFTC Chairman Giancarlo Names Maggie Sklar Senior Counsel
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Wall Street News
Maybe Now You'll Understand Why the SEC Said ‘No’ to Bitcoin ETFs
In March, the SEC denied applications seeking permission to list Bitcoin ETFs. The Bats BZX Exchange wanted to list the Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust (3/10/17), and the NYSE Arca Exchange wanted to list the SolidX Bitcoin ETF.
There should have been little doubt that both those applications would be denied - because the bitcoin, the underlying financial instrument for each fund - is simply too volatile for the typical investor.
- Over the past 3 months, the bitcoin has traded as low as $891.51 (on March 25) and as high as $3,025.47 (on June 11) – that’s a $2,133.96, or 240%, differential. And, for the record, these prices were leverage-enhanced.
- Just 4 days after hitting its record price of $3,025.47 on 6/11, the price of a bitcoin traded as low as $2,185.96 on 6/15 - that’s a $839.51, or 28%, differential.
- Meanwhile, the global market value of digital currencies fell from a record of $117.21 billion on Monday to below $100 billion Thursday, according to CoinMarketCap.