BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- Banca IMI Securities to Pay $35Mn for Improper Handling of ADRs in Continuing SEC Crackdown
- Members of White House ‘Arts Panel’ Resign En Masse in Protest of Trump
- FINRA Whiffs on Disciplinary Sanction: Bill Singer's 'Negligent Market Manipulation in OTC Stock Promotion'
- Heather Heyer’s Mother Says, ‘I’m Not Talking to the President’
- Goldman Sachs May Have Lost $100Mn on Energy Bet Gone Wrong
- SEC Drops Case Against Ex-JPMorgan Traders Over 'London Whale'
- Financial Advisers That Invest in Technology Need to Accomplish These Two Things
- FINRA Amends Codes Regarding Expedited Arbitrator List Selection
- FINRA July 2017 Quarterly Disciplinary Review (Podcast)
- Senior Exec in Citigroup's Equities Unit Has Left
- Prudential Plotting its Escape From Fed's Tough Oversight
- Why CEOs Spurned Trump's Business Councils, in Their Own Words
- A Stockbroker, Her LLC, and Her Customers' Loans (Or Investment?) - Bill Singer
- Brian Quintenz Sworn In as CFTC Commissioner
- A Gary Cohn Resignation Would 'Crash the Markets' – Mgmt Guru Jeffrey Sonnenfeld
- Trading Firm DRW to Buy RGM Advisors - As Low Volatility Forces Out Weak HFT Players (subsc reqd)
- Reputational Damage - Rajat Gupta on Hard Road to Recovery
- 7th Circuit Affirms Spoofing Conviction - Bill Singer
- Wells Fargo Announces Board Changes
- Judge Rules Against Ex-Goldman Employee in Fed Leak Case
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Nomura VP Charged with Insider Trading - SEC
The SEC charged a vice president in the risk management department of Nomura with insider trading on confidential information he learned in advance of a private equity firm's acquisition of a publicly-traded technology company.
It's alleged that Avaneesh Krishnamoorthy and wife Shreya Achar (who was named as a relief defendant) began trading in Neustar securities after he learned that Golden Gate Capital planned to acquire Neustar Inc. Apparently, Nomura had been approached by Golden Gate Capital to finance the transaction. The trading took place in November and December of 2016 - in 2 brokerage accounts that Krishnamoorthy allegedly kept hidden from his employer. According to the SEC's complaint, Krishnamoorthy made approximately $48,000 in illicit profits.
In a parallel action, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York today filed criminal charges against Krishnamoorthy.
The SEC seeks to freeze the brokerage accounts while it continues its investigation.
NOMURA'S NAME LEFT OFF CASE DETAILS. It's interesting to note that neither the SEC nor FINRA provide any indication that Avaneesh Krishnamoorthy was working for Nomura. In fact, our review of FINRA BrokerCheck revealed only that a person named Avaneesh Krishnamoorthy was registered for one year with Coastal Trade Securities - and that was from 2011 to 2012. So, we're pleased to thank Dealbreaker for disclosing Mr. Krishnamoorthy's employer, and for laying out the timeline in this case. [See "The Nomura VP Accused Of Insider Trading Really Made It Easy On The SEC", 4/24/17]