BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- SEC Charges Additional Defendant in Fraudulent ICO Scheme
- Warren Buffett Simply Blew it on Wells Fargo Stock: Dick Bove (Video)
- Barclays and Deutsche Bank to Lag U.S. Trading Peers
- NY AG Schneiderman Seeks to Close Loophole That Could Let Trump Pardons Block State Charges
- 'Fearless Girl' is Moving to NYSE After Year Staring Down 'Charging Bull'
- What's In Your Wallet - American Express Shares Soar After Earnings Release
- Deutsche Bank's Executive Departures Continue Following Change in CEO
- Reflections of an Economist Commissioner (SEC's Piwowar)
- Billionaire HF Manager and The Fed Chair Runner-Up are Investing in New Cryptocurrency
- Court Finds 2 Brokers Liable for Fraud Involving Mortgage-Backed Securities
- One FINRA: An Organization’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
- 2018 GASB Accounting Support Fee to Fund the Governmental Accounting Standards Board
- Barclays Eyes Move Into Cryptocurrency Trading
- Goldman Breaks From Wall Street Pack with Bond-Trading Boom
- Janney Montgomery Scott CEO Joins FINRA Board of Governors
- SEC Encourages Investors to Do Background Checks on Investor.gov
- The Martin Act: Wall Street Titan Takes Aim at Law That Tripped Him Up
- Bank of America’s Cost-Cutting Drive Pushes Profit to Record
- Larry Fink: Wall Street’s $6 Trillion Man Finally Worth $1Bn
- Activist Investor Wants Barclays Investment Banking Overhaul (Video)
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
SEC Enforcement: A Banner Year
SEC Enforcement co-directors Stephanie Avakian and Steven Peikin proclaimed fiscal year 2017 a rousing SUCCESS! If you don’t believe it, just look at the numbers (for year ended September 30, 2017):
- The SEC brought 754 enforcement actions in FY 2017.
► The SEC brought 868 enforcement actions in FY 2016.
- The SEC brought 446 standalone actions in FY 2017.
► The SEC brought 548 standalone actions in FY 2016.
- The SEC raised $3.8Bn in penalties and disgorgement in FY 2017.
► The SEC raised $4.1Bn in penalties and disgorgement in FY 2016.
- The top 5% largest cases accounted for $2.6Bn in penalties and disgorgement in FY 2017.
► The top 5% largest cases accounted for $2.8Bn in penalties and disgorgement in FY 2016.
- The SEC brought 135 standalone actions against RIAs, RICs, and B/Ds in FY 2017.
► The SEC brought 159 standalone actions against RIAs, RICs, and B/Ds in FY 2016.
- The largest penalty issued against a financial institution was $90Mn in FY 2017 (Credit Suisse).
► The largest penalty issued against a financial institution was $358Mn in FY 2016 (Merrill Lynch).
- The SEC distributed $1.1Bn to harmed investors in FY 2017.
► The SEC distributed $140Mn to harmed investors in FY 2017.
Oh well, perhaps their assessment was overly optimistic by a tad. Maybe I'll just recheck those numbers in the Division of Enforcement's Annual Report.