BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- SEC Charges Additional Defendant in Fraudulent ICO Scheme
- Warren Buffett Simply Blew it on Wells Fargo Stock: Dick Bove (Video)
- Barclays and Deutsche Bank to Lag U.S. Trading Peers
- NY AG Schneiderman Seeks to Close Loophole That Could Let Trump Pardons Block State Charges
- 'Fearless Girl' is Moving to NYSE After Year Staring Down 'Charging Bull'
- What's In Your Wallet - American Express Shares Soar After Earnings Release
- Deutsche Bank's Executive Departures Continue Following Change in CEO
- Reflections of an Economist Commissioner (SEC's Piwowar)
- Billionaire HF Manager and The Fed Chair Runner-Up are Investing in New Cryptocurrency
- Court Finds 2 Brokers Liable for Fraud Involving Mortgage-Backed Securities
- One FINRA: An Organization’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
- 2018 GASB Accounting Support Fee to Fund the Governmental Accounting Standards Board
- Barclays Eyes Move Into Cryptocurrency Trading
- Goldman Breaks From Wall Street Pack with Bond-Trading Boom
- Janney Montgomery Scott CEO Joins FINRA Board of Governors
- SEC Encourages Investors to Do Background Checks on Investor.gov
- The Martin Act: Wall Street Titan Takes Aim at Law That Tripped Him Up
- Bank of America’s Cost-Cutting Drive Pushes Profit to Record
- Larry Fink: Wall Street’s $6 Trillion Man Finally Worth $1Bn
- Activist Investor Wants Barclays Investment Banking Overhaul (Video)
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Sports Betting Takes Page from Wall Street
[Photo: Sports Betting / pbs.org]
Whether it’s your Superbowl or March Madness office pool bets, your fantasy bets on FanDuel, or your forays into casino and sportsbook betting, there’s a host of new sophisticated tools at your disposal that, in many ways, resemble Wall Street. Financial terms like markets, algorithms, robo-advisors, high-frequency, fund managers, contrarian investors, and watchdogs are finding their way into the vernacular of sports betting.
Markets. With an established demand for sports betting, the internet has spawned a universe of international betting markets – including online sports leagues and gambling operators.
Robot-Advisors. Hesitant to rely on your limited knowledge or haphazard approach to betting on a sporting event, why not access one of many online guides that can provide suggestions based on a prediction model. Get the prevailing mood of favorite teams and players by accessing social media conversations. Compile picks and tips from online data bases that are available to subscribing members.
High Frequency. Real time data that can be disseminated faster than a TV broadcast, has driver sophisticated gamblers to engage in high-frequency betting. Today’s betting has transcended one shot bets on the outcome of a game or tournament. Now, bets made throughout live games are on the rise- accounting for 20% of all bets at William Hill Plc’s Nevada locations. Besides resembling the MO of HFT firms, think of it as being similar to all the single roll bets one can make on a Craps Table.
Fund Managers. What better way is there to increase the likelihood of a payout than by pooling your money with like-minded betters? Entity betting is now legal and ready to accept your money.
Contrarian Investors. Wall Street professionals often look for overvalued or undervalued stocks and establish opposing positions in those securities. Computer models are available that identify apparent overvalued gambling spreads. Consider it betting arbitrage.
Watchdogs. Isn’t it reassuring to know that someone is on the lookout for online leagues and sports operators that engage in suspicious activities? Genius Sports Group Ltd. does just that, filtering through data for deviations from the norm, which probably gets disseminated in one form or another.
There you go – you’re free to fritter away – I mean gamble - your hard-earned money.