BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- Louisiana Adviser Barred for Hiding Losses from Investors
- Connecticut HF Manager Illegally Diverted Investor Money - Now Owes Nearly $13Mn
- White House Cleaning House of Advisors Without Full Security Clearance
- Goldman Projects 30% Growth in Wealth Management Advisor Force
- Whistleblower Alleges Manipulation of CBOE Volatility Index
- FINRA Looking Into VIX (CBOE Volatility Index) Manipulation: WSJ
- Atlanta-Area Resident Charged with Misusing Investor Funds - SEC
- FINRA Announces 2018 West Region Networking Seminar
- Alberto Arevalo, Associate Director in Office of International Affairs, to Retire From SEC
- A Culprit for Financial Site Glitches: You and Your Apps
- Investor Protection, Capital Formation and Market Integrity Are Top Priorities in SEC Budget Request
- We Must Stop Out-Of-Control Trading or U.S. Capitalist System Will Break Down - Dick Bove
- SEC Launches Share Class Selection Disclosure Initiative to Encourage Self-Reporting and the Prompt Return of Funds to Investors
- BofA CEO Moynihan Got $23Mn Compensation for 2017 – a 15% Pay Raise
- Former Credit Suisse ‘Star’ Gets 5-Year Jail Term For "Clever Fraud"
- FINRA: Perspectives on Customer Arb Award Recovery
- FINRA: Amend Membership App Program to Incentivize Arbitration Award Payments
- Goldman's #2 Allegedly Swindled Out of $1.2Mn of Wine by Assistant
- FINRA Publishes Annual Budget Summary - No Fee Rate Increases for Member Firms
- CFTC Chairman Giancarlo Names Maggie Sklar Senior Counsel
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Sports Betting Takes Page from Wall Street
[Photo: Sports Betting / pbs.org]
Whether it’s your Superbowl or March Madness office pool bets, your fantasy bets on FanDuel, or your forays into casino and sportsbook betting, there’s a host of new sophisticated tools at your disposal that, in many ways, resemble Wall Street. Financial terms like markets, algorithms, robo-advisors, high-frequency, fund managers, contrarian investors, and watchdogs are finding their way into the vernacular of sports betting.
Markets. With an established demand for sports betting, the internet has spawned a universe of international betting markets – including online sports leagues and gambling operators.
Robot-Advisors. Hesitant to rely on your limited knowledge or haphazard approach to betting on a sporting event, why not access one of many online guides that can provide suggestions based on a prediction model. Get the prevailing mood of favorite teams and players by accessing social media conversations. Compile picks and tips from online data bases that are available to subscribing members.
High Frequency. Real time data that can be disseminated faster than a TV broadcast, has driver sophisticated gamblers to engage in high-frequency betting. Today’s betting has transcended one shot bets on the outcome of a game or tournament. Now, bets made throughout live games are on the rise- accounting for 20% of all bets at William Hill Plc’s Nevada locations. Besides resembling the MO of HFT firms, think of it as being similar to all the single roll bets one can make on a Craps Table.
Fund Managers. What better way is there to increase the likelihood of a payout than by pooling your money with like-minded betters? Entity betting is now legal and ready to accept your money.
Contrarian Investors. Wall Street professionals often look for overvalued or undervalued stocks and establish opposing positions in those securities. Computer models are available that identify apparent overvalued gambling spreads. Consider it betting arbitrage.
Watchdogs. Isn’t it reassuring to know that someone is on the lookout for online leagues and sports operators that engage in suspicious activities? Genius Sports Group Ltd. does just that, filtering through data for deviations from the norm, which probably gets disseminated in one form or another.
There you go – you’re free to fritter away – I mean gamble - your hard-earned money.