BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- Banca IMI Securities to Pay $35Mn for Improper Handling of ADRs in Continuing SEC Crackdown
- Members of White House ‘Arts Panel’ Resign En Masse in Protest of Trump
- FINRA Whiffs on Disciplinary Sanction: Bill Singer's 'Negligent Market Manipulation in OTC Stock Promotion'
- Heather Heyer’s Mother Says, ‘I’m Not Talking to the President’
- Goldman Sachs May Have Lost $100Mn on Energy Bet Gone Wrong
- SEC Drops Case Against Ex-JPMorgan Traders Over 'London Whale'
- Financial Advisers That Invest in Technology Need to Accomplish These Two Things
- FINRA Amends Codes Regarding Expedited Arbitrator List Selection
- FINRA July 2017 Quarterly Disciplinary Review (Podcast)
- Senior Exec in Citigroup's Equities Unit Has Left
- Prudential Plotting its Escape From Fed's Tough Oversight
- Why CEOs Spurned Trump's Business Councils, in Their Own Words
- A Stockbroker, Her LLC, and Her Customers' Loans (Or Investment?) - Bill Singer
- Brian Quintenz Sworn In as CFTC Commissioner
- A Gary Cohn Resignation Would 'Crash the Markets' – Mgmt Guru Jeffrey Sonnenfeld
- Trading Firm DRW to Buy RGM Advisors - As Low Volatility Forces Out Weak HFT Players (subsc reqd)
- Reputational Damage - Rajat Gupta on Hard Road to Recovery
- 7th Circuit Affirms Spoofing Conviction - Bill Singer
- Wells Fargo Announces Board Changes
- Judge Rules Against Ex-Goldman Employee in Fed Leak Case
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Tailwind Behind Canadian Banks
[Photo: Lake Banff in the Canadian Rockies, by Tobias Alt, Tobias 87 own work / Wikimedia Commons]
The mood is very positive at Canada’s 6 biggest banks, namely – (i) Bank of Montreal (BMO); (ii) Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC); (iii) Royal Bank of Canada (RBC); (iv) Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD); (v) Bank of Nova Scotia (Scotia); and, (vi) National Bank of Canada (National Bank).
All the banks posted record earnings that beat Street expectations – largely riding the crest of the buoyant end-of-year capital markets. Corporate finance contributed to the bottom line, as did commercial banking.
So, while European banks seem to be falling farther behind their U.S. counterparts, Canadian banks are keeping up with their ‘southern’ neighbors.