BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- Banca IMI Securities to Pay $35Mn for Improper Handling of ADRs in Continuing SEC Crackdown
- Members of White House ‘Arts Panel’ Resign En Masse in Protest of Trump
- FINRA Whiffs on Disciplinary Sanction: Bill Singer's 'Negligent Market Manipulation in OTC Stock Promotion'
- Heather Heyer’s Mother Says, ‘I’m Not Talking to the President’
- Goldman Sachs May Have Lost $100Mn on Energy Bet Gone Wrong
- SEC Drops Case Against Ex-JPMorgan Traders Over 'London Whale'
- Financial Advisers That Invest in Technology Need to Accomplish These Two Things
- FINRA Amends Codes Regarding Expedited Arbitrator List Selection
- FINRA July 2017 Quarterly Disciplinary Review (Podcast)
- Senior Exec in Citigroup's Equities Unit Has Left
- Prudential Plotting its Escape From Fed's Tough Oversight
- Why CEOs Spurned Trump's Business Councils, in Their Own Words
- A Stockbroker, Her LLC, and Her Customers' Loans (Or Investment?) - Bill Singer
- Brian Quintenz Sworn In as CFTC Commissioner
- A Gary Cohn Resignation Would 'Crash the Markets' – Mgmt Guru Jeffrey Sonnenfeld
- Trading Firm DRW to Buy RGM Advisors - As Low Volatility Forces Out Weak HFT Players (subsc reqd)
- Reputational Damage - Rajat Gupta on Hard Road to Recovery
- 7th Circuit Affirms Spoofing Conviction - Bill Singer
- Wells Fargo Announces Board Changes
- Judge Rules Against Ex-Goldman Employee in Fed Leak Case
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
The Man Who Would Be Bharara - Deputy U.S. Attorney Joon Kim
Deputy U.S. Attorney Joon Kim has replaced Preet Bharara, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York who was fired Saturday by Donald Trump for refusing to submit his resignation. On Friday afternoon, Trump requested the resignation of all (46) federal prosecutors who had been appointed by President Obama.
Mr. Kim will fill in for Mr. Bharara until Trump appoints a successor to the post.
WHO IS JOON KIM? Joon Kim has been the Deputy U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York since July 2015. Here’s how he got to that position:
- Mr. Kim joined the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York in 2000 and remained there until 2006.
- While serving as an Assistant U.S. Attorney, he investigated and prosecuted a wide range of federal crimes, including racketeering, murder, money laundering, securities fraud, firearms and narcotics offenses, tax evasion, and terrorism.
- Mr. Kim left public service in 2006 to join Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton as a partner in the litigation and enforcement group. He remained at Cleary Gottlieb until 2013. During that time, he focused on white-collar criminal defense and regulatory enforcement, as well as commercial civil litigation and international arbitration.
- In April 2013, Mr. Kim returned to the Southern District to serve as Chief Counsel to the U.S. Attorney.
- In July 2014, Mr. Kim was named Chief of the Criminal Division, a position he retained until he was promoted to Deputy U.S. Attorney in July 2015.
- Mr. Kim graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Stanford in 1993 and got his law degree from Harvard Law in 1996. After law school, he clerked for the Honorable Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum of the Southern District of New York.
- Mr. Kim was born in Los Angeles, but spent time as a child in Jordan where his father, a diplomat, was posted.