BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- Canada's CIBC Completes $5Bn PrivateBancorp Buy
- Word ‘Women’ Literally Never Appears in U.S. Senate’s 142-Page Health-Care Bill
- Stephen Pierce, Goldman Sachs Global Head of Equity Markets, To Retire
- Al Gore 'Not Very Smart,’ But Became Filthy Rich Using Simple Investing Formula - Charlie Munger
- U.S. Regulators, Lawmakers Support Volcker Rule Revamp at Hearing
- Morgan Stanley Opts for Frankfurt as New EU Hub
- A New Risk for Goldman, Morgan Stanley in Stress Tests (subsc reqd)
- A Trump Bump for Law Firm of President’s Lawyer - Kasowitz Benson Torres
- JPMorgan, BofA, Goldman, Citi, Wells Fargo Pass Fed's Stress Test
- Blackstone Stock Still Trading at $31 - Its IPO Price From 10 Years Ago
- NJ Resident and NY-Based Global FX Club Charged with Solicitation Fraud, Misappropriation - CFTC
- Senate Republicans Release Plan to Replace Obamacare - The Details
- Berkshire Hathaway Throws $1.5Bn Lifeline to Canada's Home Capital
- Inside Nomura: Day in the Life of a Junior Banker
- Inside Travis Kalanick’s Resignation as Uber’s C.E.O.
- Creative Planning, KS Investment Firm, Spurring Change on Wall Street
- SEC Obtains Judgment Against Attorney Who Defrauded Escrow Clients
- SEC Files Fraud Charges Against Stock Promoters in Market Manipulation Scheme
- Power Lunches and Dinners in New York, London, Washington
- Banks to Cut $1.2Bn in Research Spending, Analyst Jobs - McKinsey
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Wells Fargo: Major Ad Campaign to Combat Plunging Credit Card, Checking Account Sales
[Photo: Eric Thayer for Bloomberg]
Reputation is Everything! And boy, did Wells Farog 'lay a stinker'.
Numbers don’t lie. The NYPost reports that new customers are saying “NO” to Wells Fargo products and services.
CREDIT CARDS: Since October, CC applications have averaged 200,000 per month down abpit 45%-50% from one year earlier. And in February, the numbers weare even lower – a full 55% below the prior year.
CHECKING ACCOUNTS: The number of apps for new checking accounts is down to 40% - to 300,000 from 500,000 to 600,000 per month a year earlier.
That said, Wells Fargo CEO Tim Sloan managed to find one positive take away - that, “in general our existing customers continued to actively use their accounts.”
WELLS FARGO ANTIDOTE (‘BUILDING BETTER EVERY DAY’). When in doubt, launch a major advertising campaign. And that’s precisely what Tim Sloan plans to do. Beginning in mid-April, ads will be rolled out across many channels - including broadcast, print, radio, online, mobile banking and on the bank’s internet channels.
“I get it. Even though this has been a difficult time for the company, [employees] are very proud of Wells Fargo and [they] want us to talk about it more. … [Employees] want more people to hear about how we're making things right, how we're fixing what was broken, and how we're building a better Wells Fargo." - - CEO Tim Sloan.
Sloan says the new advertisements will highlight innovations including cardless ATMs, cybersecurity and biometric authentication for wholesale customers.
“We're serious about changing Wells Fargo for the better and being very focused on our culture,” Sloan said.