BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- CFTC Chair Giancarlo Appoints Bruce Tuckman as Chief Economist
- Twice-Convicted Ex-Jefferies Trader Litvak Faces Prison After Losing Bail Request
- Wells Fargo Hikes Full-Year S&P 500 Target
- SEC Institutes Administrative Proceedings Against Shkreli
- Goldman's Lloyd Blankfein Seems to be Making a Habit Out of Trolling Trump
- Goldman on Hunt for Star Traders to Revive Struggling Commodities Unit
- Yahoo Owes Millions for Busting NCAA Tourney Bracket Deal
- JPMorgan Joins 21st Century Fox in Fighting 'Deep Divisions Across Our Country'
- Please, God, Save Gary Cohn From Himself: The Case for Resigning
- Regulatory Considerations When Bringing on a New Advisor
- Why Deutsche Bank is at Mercy of Regulators
- U.S. Treasury Auction Class-Action – Federal Judge Causes Interminable Delay
- Mnuchin Rejects Calls to Resign and Defends Trump
- Best Time to Go to the U.S. (Tennis) Open Tourney - Before It Starts on August 28
- Stifel Prevails in Arbitration But Ex-Hilltop Employees Hit with Awards - Bill Singer
- Banca IMI Securities to Pay $35Mn for Improper Handling of ADRs in Continuing SEC Crackdown
- Members of White House ‘Arts Panel’ Resign En Masse in Protest of Trump
- FINRA Whiffs on Disciplinary Sanction: Bill Singer's 'Negligent Market Manipulation in OTC Stock Promotion'
- Heather Heyer’s Mother Says, ‘I’m Not Talking to the President’
- Goldman Sachs May Have Lost $100Mn on Energy Bet Gone Wrong
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Wells Fargo: Major Ad Campaign to Combat Plunging Credit Card, Checking Account Sales
[Photo: Eric Thayer for Bloomberg]
Reputation is Everything! And boy, did Wells Farog 'lay a stinker'.
Numbers don’t lie. The NYPost reports that new customers are saying “NO” to Wells Fargo products and services.
CREDIT CARDS: Since October, CC applications have averaged 200,000 per month down abpit 45%-50% from one year earlier. And in February, the numbers weare even lower – a full 55% below the prior year.
CHECKING ACCOUNTS: The number of apps for new checking accounts is down to 40% - to 300,000 from 500,000 to 600,000 per month a year earlier.
That said, Wells Fargo CEO Tim Sloan managed to find one positive take away - that, “in general our existing customers continued to actively use their accounts.”
WELLS FARGO ANTIDOTE (‘BUILDING BETTER EVERY DAY’). When in doubt, launch a major advertising campaign. And that’s precisely what Tim Sloan plans to do. Beginning in mid-April, ads will be rolled out across many channels - including broadcast, print, radio, online, mobile banking and on the bank’s internet channels.
“I get it. Even though this has been a difficult time for the company, [employees] are very proud of Wells Fargo and [they] want us to talk about it more. … [Employees] want more people to hear about how we're making things right, how we're fixing what was broken, and how we're building a better Wells Fargo." - - CEO Tim Sloan.
Sloan says the new advertisements will highlight innovations including cardless ATMs, cybersecurity and biometric authentication for wholesale customers.
“We're serious about changing Wells Fargo for the better and being very focused on our culture,” Sloan said.