BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- State Street Challenging BNY Mellon As Largest Custody Bank
- Changes to FINRA Advisory Committees: Phase 1
- SEC Approves CAT Fee Dispute Resolution Process
- Boston-Area Consultant & Friend Settle SEC Insider Trading Charges
- SEC Chair Clayton: Statement on Status of the Consolidated Audit Trail ('CAT')
- Goldman to Launch $5bn Fund with China Investment Corp.
- Wells Fargo Launches Robo-Adviser Targeting Millenial Investors
- Barclays Fails to End U.S. 'Dark Pool' Class Action
- Goldman Sachs' Chief Risk Officer, Craig Broderick, to Retire
- Time to Renew FINRA Registrations - B/D, IA, Agent, IA Rep, Branches
- New Jersey’s Next Governor Could Be a Democrat Who Worked at Goldman Sachs
- FINRA New York Region Networking Seminar - December 1st
- SEC Approves “Pay-to-Play” and Related Rules for Capital Acquisition Brokers
- Hedge Fund Giant Paul Singer Targeted for Destruction by Steve Bannon
- Saudi Arabia's arrest of Prince Alwaleed 'would be like arresting Warren Buffett or Bill Gates' in the US
- Arrest of Billionaire Saudi Prince Touches Sizable Stakes - Citigroup, Twitter, Lyft
- New York Fed President William Dudley set to announce retirement
- FINRA Arbitration Panel Rules Against ex-LPL Broker in $30Mn Lawsuit vs. Firm
- OOPS! Goldman, JPMorgan, BofA Fail in Pricing an IPO
- Former Merrill Broker Pleads Guilty to Fee Fraud, Faces Up To 25 Years
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Would-Be Broker Barred for Cheating at Series 7 Exam
By Howard Haykin
Jiaoni Zhu agreed to be barred from the industry to settle FINRA charges that she cheated while taking the General Securities Representative (Series 7) examination.
BACKGROUND. Zhu, a resident of Porter Ranch, CA, associated with Farmers Financial Solutions in January 2014 in an unregistered capacity and was registered through the firm as a Series 7 General Securities Rep from October 2016 through January 2017. She is not currently registered or associated with a member firm. Zhu has no disciplinary history - although FINRA's BrokerCheck records show that she's still employed by (i.e., associated with) that same broker-dealer.
FINRA FINDINGS. The General Securities Representative (Series 7) examination is a closed-book test. Candidates are not permitted to use or access any study materials or personal notes during the test.
- Before beginning the exam, a candidate must acknowledge that he or she will not use or attempt to use any such materials.
- All personal items-including study materials and personal notes a candidate may have brought to the testing center-must be stored in a locker provided by the test vendor prior to entering the test room.
- When taking an unscheduled break, the candidate may not access his or her locker.
- Using or attempting to use study materials or personal notes during an exam is a violation of FINRA Rule 2010.
On 10/10/16, while taking the Series 7 exam at a test center in Glendale, CA, Ms. Zhu took 2 unscheduled breaks from the exam and during those breaks accessed her locker to retrieve and review a study guide and handwritten notes that related to the subject matter of the exam.
FINANCIALISH TAKE AWAYS. Don’t understand why the matter - i.e., cheating - was not addressed at the point of discovery. However, it wasn’t and, while Ms. Zhu took the exam on 10/10/16, the test proctor Prometric Testing Center did not submit an “Event Incident Report” to FINRA until 1/5/17. Then, FINRA did not initiate its case against Ms. Zhu until 6/29/17 – a full 9 months after the incident. In any case, by the good graces of Farmers Financial Solutions, Ms. Zhu may still have a job with the broker-dealer.
This case was reported in FINRA Disciplinary Actions for August 2017.
For details on this case, go to ... FINRA Disciplinary Actions Online, and refer to Case #2016052001701.