BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- Canada's CIBC Completes $5Bn PrivateBancorp Buy
- Word ‘Women’ Literally Never Appears in U.S. Senate’s 142-Page Health-Care Bill
- Stephen Pierce, Goldman Sachs Global Head of Equity Markets, To Retire
- Al Gore 'Not Very Smart,’ But Became Filthy Rich Using Simple Investing Formula - Charlie Munger
- U.S. Regulators, Lawmakers Support Volcker Rule Revamp at Hearing
- Morgan Stanley Opts for Frankfurt as New EU Hub
- A New Risk for Goldman, Morgan Stanley in Stress Tests (subsc reqd)
- A Trump Bump for Law Firm of President’s Lawyer - Kasowitz Benson Torres
- JPMorgan, BofA, Goldman, Citi, Wells Fargo Pass Fed's Stress Test
- Blackstone Stock Still Trading at $31 - Its IPO Price From 10 Years Ago
- NJ Resident and NY-Based Global FX Club Charged with Solicitation Fraud, Misappropriation - CFTC
- Senate Republicans Release Plan to Replace Obamacare - The Details
- Berkshire Hathaway Throws $1.5Bn Lifeline to Canada's Home Capital
- Inside Nomura: Day in the Life of a Junior Banker
- Inside Travis Kalanick’s Resignation as Uber’s C.E.O.
- Creative Planning, KS Investment Firm, Spurring Change on Wall Street
- SEC Obtains Judgment Against Attorney Who Defrauded Escrow Clients
- SEC Files Fraud Charges Against Stock Promoters in Market Manipulation Scheme
- Power Lunches and Dinners in New York, London, Washington
- Banks to Cut $1.2Bn in Research Spending, Analyst Jobs - McKinsey
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
WWW: 33-Year Vet Alters Documents - Loses Job and Gets Suspended
[Photo: HullDunk (Duncan Hull) / Flickr]
Harold Baker of Dubois, PA, agreed to a $5K fine and a 3-month suspension to settle FINRA charges that he altered documents for customers by copying and pasting their signatures and/or altering dates and other information. The findings stated that the altered documents included applications to purchase variable annuities (VA’s) and account distribution forms. The customers verbally authorized the underlying transactions.
BACKGROUND. Baker has been registered since 1983 and, in 2008, became registered as a General Securities Representative and General Securities Principal through Sorrento Pacific Financial. Sorrento U-5’d Baker in May 2016 for having altered customer documents. Baker is not currently associated with a member firm.
FACTS AND VIOLATIVE CONDUCT. According to FINRA, between April 2011 and April 2016, Baker altered at least 9 transaction disclosure documents for at least 3 customers in order to receive firm approval of transactions previously approved (and perhaps signed) by clients. Baker did so by copying and pasting customer signatures and/or altering dates and other information. The altered documents included applications to purchase variable annuities and account distribution forms. FINRA acknowledges that the underlying transactions were, at least, verbally authorized by the customers.
FINANCIALISH COMMENTS. FINRA’s BrokerCheck report for Baker confirms the basic facts and circumstances in this case, without shedding any more light on the context of Baker’s actions. Without additional information, we can't ascertain that the sanctions fit the "crime." That said, that’s all there is. Case closed.
This case was reported in FINRA Disciplinary Actions for April 2017.
For details on this case, go to … FINRA Disciplinary Actions Online, and refer to Case #2016050071101.