BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- White House Now Doesn’t Dispute Details of Trump's Call with Army Widow
- Goldman Sachs’ Lloyd Blankfein Just Threw Some Serious Brexit Shade
- Guggenheim Partners ‘Bank Wrecker’ Could Get $100Mn Exit Package
- Proposed Arbitration Rule Change: For Customers Dealing with an Inactive Firm or Associated Person
- This Family Bet It All on Bitcoin
- Clearinghouses Pass CFTC Liquidity Stress Tests
- President Trump Admits He’s Trying to Kill Obamacare. That’s Illegal.
- Trump Plunges Down List of ‘America’s Richest’
- Is Trump’s “Foreclosure King” in Over His Head?
- FBI Arrests NCAA Basketball Coaches and Adidas Rep in Bribery Probe Involving Recruitment
- Equifax CEO Steps Down Amid Hacking Scandal
- Litigation Costs to Rub Salt in RBS Investor Wounds
- RIAs Poised to Land Wirehouse Recruits - Dan Jamieson
- Citibank and U.K. Affiliate to Pay $550K Penalty for Swap Data Reporting Violations - CFTC
- AIG to Restructure into 3 New Units, Marking CEO's First Big Move
- Accounting Firm Deloitte Says It Suffered Cyberattack (subsc reqd)
- Upcoming FINRA Board Meeting and FINRA360 Update
- Elizabeth Warren Lifts Hold on Trump DOJ Antitrust Nominee
- Bigger Mergers Narrow Indy Reps' Options, Alter IBD Channel - Dan Jamieson
- Dentons to Merge with U.K.'s Murray & Spens
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
‘Ask and Check’ Before Investing
On Monday, the SEC announced an emergency asset freeze and temporary restraining order against Daniel Glick, a Chicago-based investment adviser, and his unregistered company, Financial Management Strategies (FMS). 'Glick & Co.' are charged with scamming elderly investors out of millions and covering up the fraud with false account statements. [Click SEC PressRelease, 3/28/17]
Unbeknownst to the investors, Glick had been barred by FINRA in 2014, and he had his CFP (Certified Financial Planner) designation and CPA license revoked for conduct unrelated to Monday’s SEC charges.
Which, once again, prompts the SEC to encourage investors to check the background of anyone offering to sell them investments. Here's where they and you can search:
Investment Advisers and Broker/Dealer
- SEC Investment Adviser Public Disclosure (IAPD)
- FINRA BrokerCheck
- FINRA Professional Designations Database
- NASAA State Securities Regulators
- SIPC List of Members
- EDGAR (Electronic Data Gathering, Analysis and Retrieval)
- NFA Background Affiliation Status Information Center (BASIC)
- CFTC Disciplinary History
- CFTC SmartCheck