BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- Sarah ten Siethoff is New Associate Director of SEC Investment Management Rulemaking Office
- Catherine Keating Appointed CEO of BNY Mellon Wealth Management
- Credit Suisse to Pay $47Mn to Resolve DOJ Asia Probe
- SEC Chair Clayton Goes 'Hat in Hand' Before Congress on 2019 Budget Request
- SEC's Opening Remarks to the Elder Justice Coordinating Council
- Massachusetts Jury Convicts CA Attorney of Securities Fraud
- Deutsche Bank Says 3 Senior Investment Bankers to Leave Firm
- World’s Biggest Hedge Fund Reportedly ‘Bearish On Financial Assets’
- SEC Fines Constant Contact, Popular Email Marketer, for Overstating Subscriber Numbers
- SocGen Agrees to Pay $1.3 Billion to End Libya, Libor Probes
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Bitfinex Briefly Halts Trading After Cyber Attack
- SEC Names Valerie Szczepanik Senior Advisor for Digital Assets and Innovation
- SEC Modernizes Delivery of Fund Reports, Seeks Public Feedback on Improving Fund Disclosure
- NYSE Says SEC Plan to Limit Exchange Rebates Would Hurt Investors
- Deutsche Bank faces another challenge with Fed stress test
- Former JPMorgan Broker Files racial discrimination suit against company
- $3.3Mn Winning Bid for Lunch with Warren Buffett
- Julie Erhardt is SEC's New Acting Chief Risk Officer
- Chyhe Becker is SEC's New Acting Chief Economist, Acting Director of Economic and Risk Analysis Division
- Getting a Handle on Virtual Currencies - FINRA
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Donald Trump & Co.
Politics Aside, Bravado Won’t Measure Up to Menacing Actions
The threat from within the United States, where distrust and political leanings are pitting Americans against one another, is scary enough. However, those concerns pale in comparison to the dangers we all face from the global arena.
So, it was with great consternation that we read this morning’s competing headlines:
The bravado, of course comes from President Trump, who warns that the United States will deal with North Korea’s nuclear threats, with or without China’s help. That sounds serious, until one wonders what it all means. Consider Trump’s long history of grandiose statements that lack substantive measures and offer few details. Add to these concerns, Trump's tendency to endorse nationalistic or isolationist strategies in an effort to somehow get our allies to ‘fall in line’. Never have the words of poet John Donne seemed truer - "No Man is an Island.”
Now take North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un, who is willing, if not enthusiastic, to go it alone. He appears hell-bent on developing and testing a growing arsenal of intercontinental missiles – while killing off his perceived enemies and detractors. A N. Korean defector describes Kim Jong Un as a “desperate" dictator who is prepared to use nuclear weapons to strike the United States and its allies.
Events will unfold over time - although time does not appear to be one of our bargaining chips.