BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- Canada's CIBC Completes $5Bn PrivateBancorp Buy
- Word ‘Women’ Literally Never Appears in U.S. Senate’s 142-Page Health-Care Bill
- Stephen Pierce, Goldman Sachs Global Head of Equity Markets, To Retire
- Al Gore 'Not Very Smart,’ But Became Filthy Rich Using Simple Investing Formula - Charlie Munger
- U.S. Regulators, Lawmakers Support Volcker Rule Revamp at Hearing
- Morgan Stanley Opts for Frankfurt as New EU Hub
- A New Risk for Goldman, Morgan Stanley in Stress Tests (subsc reqd)
- A Trump Bump for Law Firm of President’s Lawyer - Kasowitz Benson Torres
- JPMorgan, BofA, Goldman, Citi, Wells Fargo Pass Fed's Stress Test
- Blackstone Stock Still Trading at $31 - Its IPO Price From 10 Years Ago
- NJ Resident and NY-Based Global FX Club Charged with Solicitation Fraud, Misappropriation - CFTC
- Senate Republicans Release Plan to Replace Obamacare - The Details
- Berkshire Hathaway Throws $1.5Bn Lifeline to Canada's Home Capital
- Inside Nomura: Day in the Life of a Junior Banker
- Inside Travis Kalanick’s Resignation as Uber’s C.E.O.
- Creative Planning, KS Investment Firm, Spurring Change on Wall Street
- SEC Obtains Judgment Against Attorney Who Defrauded Escrow Clients
- SEC Files Fraud Charges Against Stock Promoters in Market Manipulation Scheme
- Power Lunches and Dinners in New York, London, Washington
- Banks to Cut $1.2Bn in Research Spending, Analyst Jobs - McKinsey
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Donald Trump & Co.
Politics Aside, Bravado Won’t Measure Up to Menacing Actions
The threat from within the United States, where distrust and political leanings are pitting Americans against one another, is scary enough. However, those concerns pale in comparison to the dangers we all face from the global arena.
So, it was with great consternation that we read this morning’s competing headlines:
The bravado, of course comes from President Trump, who warns that the United States will deal with North Korea’s nuclear threats, with or without China’s help. That sounds serious, until one wonders what it all means. Consider Trump’s long history of grandiose statements that lack substantive measures and offer few details. Add to these concerns, Trump's tendency to endorse nationalistic or isolationist strategies in an effort to somehow get our allies to ‘fall in line’. Never have the words of poet John Donne seemed truer - "No Man is an Island.”
Now take North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un, who is willing, if not enthusiastic, to go it alone. He appears hell-bent on developing and testing a growing arsenal of intercontinental missiles – while killing off his perceived enemies and detractors. A N. Korean defector describes Kim Jong Un as a “desperate" dictator who is prepared to use nuclear weapons to strike the United States and its allies.
Events will unfold over time - although time does not appear to be one of our bargaining chips.