BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- Banca IMI Securities to Pay $35Mn for Improper Handling of ADRs in Continuing SEC Crackdown
- Members of White House ‘Arts Panel’ Resign En Masse in Protest of Trump
- FINRA Whiffs on Disciplinary Sanction: Bill Singer's 'Negligent Market Manipulation in OTC Stock Promotion'
- Heather Heyer’s Mother Says, ‘I’m Not Talking to the President’
- Goldman Sachs May Have Lost $100Mn on Energy Bet Gone Wrong
- SEC Drops Case Against Ex-JPMorgan Traders Over 'London Whale'
- Financial Advisers That Invest in Technology Need to Accomplish These Two Things
- FINRA Amends Codes Regarding Expedited Arbitrator List Selection
- FINRA July 2017 Quarterly Disciplinary Review (Podcast)
- Senior Exec in Citigroup's Equities Unit Has Left
- Prudential Plotting its Escape From Fed's Tough Oversight
- Why CEOs Spurned Trump's Business Councils, in Their Own Words
- A Stockbroker, Her LLC, and Her Customers' Loans (Or Investment?) - Bill Singer
- Brian Quintenz Sworn In as CFTC Commissioner
- A Gary Cohn Resignation Would 'Crash the Markets' – Mgmt Guru Jeffrey Sonnenfeld
- Trading Firm DRW to Buy RGM Advisors - As Low Volatility Forces Out Weak HFT Players (subsc reqd)
- Reputational Damage - Rajat Gupta on Hard Road to Recovery
- 7th Circuit Affirms Spoofing Conviction - Bill Singer
- Wells Fargo Announces Board Changes
- Judge Rules Against Ex-Goldman Employee in Fed Leak Case
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Donald Trump & Co.
Say This for Donald Trump - He Doesn't Shy Away From Critics
[Photo: Ted Cruz's Daughters with the President - appearing in Ted's Thursday a.m. Tweet]
Financialish is not a fan of Donald Trump - never has been, perhaps never will (it appears he’s forever doomed to repeat personal history with his rants, lies and intolerances) - but at least friends and foes know where he's coming from, except, of course, when you don't.
That said, he's repeatedly butted heads bigly with Democratic Congressman Elijah Cummings and Senator Ted Cruz. Yet, there he was, on Wednesday, meeting and eating with both in typical Trumpian style. His afternoon meeting with Cummings ended with very positive feedback. Trump and Cruz had dinner at the White House with their families.
To Be Determined. Financialishi reserves the right to withhold judgment on whether the positive spin on Wednesday’s events have any lasting effect - knowing Trump's proclivity for quickly switching gears between his public and private demeanors. In other words, stay tuned.
STORY ONE: DEMOCRATS SAY TRUMP LIKES DRUG COST PROPOSAL. Two House Democrats - Congressmen Elijah Cummings of Maryland and Peter Welch of Vermont - say President Trump was "enthusiastic" about their proposal to address the high cost of prescription drugs - allowing the federal government to negotiate drug prices. After their meeting, Cummings said Trump was enthusiastic and made clear to them that he wants to do something about it.
Cummings also used the opportunity to address 2 thorny issues: (i) voter suppression in any voter fraud investigation; and (ii) the erroneous description of black neighborhoods as places of depression.
STORY TWO: TRUMPS WERE 'WARM AND GRACIOUS' DINNER HOSTS. As USA Today puts it, “The Trump-Cruz feud is so 2016.” In a Thursday morning tweet, Ted Cruz described President Trump and first lady Melania as “warm and gracious” at Wednesday night’s dinner at the White House. Cruz posted a photo of his two daughters alongside a seated President in the Oval Office. Daughter Catherine is seen hugging Joe, her stuffed giraffe.
As far as the substantive nature of the dinner, it’s uncertain if the GOP healthcare plan was on the agenda. Neither Trump nor Cruz mentioned details of their dinner conversation. However, it’s common knowledge that Trump supports the plan, while Cruz has expressed skepticism.
For what it’s worth, the White House has pushed back on any attempt by the press to label the bill “TrumpCare.”
In the meantime, let’s just enjoy the afterglow of a pleasant evening.