BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- This Family Bet It All on Bitcoin
- Clearinghouses Pass CFTC Liquidity Stress Tests
- President Trump Admits He’s Trying to Kill Obamacare. That’s Illegal.
- Trump Plunges Down List of ‘America’s Richest’
- Is Trump’s “Foreclosure King” in Over His Head?
- FBI Arrests NCAA Basketball Coaches and Adidas Rep in Bribery Probe Involving Recruitment
- Equifax CEO Steps Down Amid Hacking Scandal
- Litigation Costs to Rub Salt in RBS Investor Wounds
- RIAs Poised to Land Wirehouse Recruits - Dan Jamieson
- Citibank and U.K. Affiliate to Pay $550K Penalty for Swap Data Reporting Violations - CFTC
- AIG to Restructure into 3 New Units, Marking CEO's First Big Move
- Accounting Firm Deloitte Says It Suffered Cyberattack (subsc reqd)
- Upcoming FINRA Board Meeting and FINRA360 Update
- Elizabeth Warren Lifts Hold on Trump DOJ Antitrust Nominee
- Bigger Mergers Narrow Indy Reps' Options, Alter IBD Channel - Dan Jamieson
- Dentons to Merge with U.K.'s Murray & Spens
- BigLaw Hogan Lovells Announces Hundreds of Buyouts, Layoffs - Almost 500 Affected
- Faith-Based Advisor Censured for Selling Class A Shares to Clergy
- After FINRA Bar, CFP Board Suspends Texas Advisor
- iCapital Network to Acquire U.S. Private Equity Access Fund Platform from Deutsche Bank
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Donald Trump & Co.
Trump: Buddy-Buddy One Moment, Vindictive The Next
There has been a steady stream of business executives into the White House for meetings with President Trump - at least 9 such meetings since January. Attendees consistently report that the 'private' Trump can be charming and cajoling, flexible and inquisitive, and ready to express admiration for his guests and their companies. As we've heard in news interviews, business executives leave these meetings gushing with hope, if not confidence, that the President's agenda will essentially be pro-business.
Trump's approach to these meetings is "one of listening and not lecturing," said a senior White House official who has participated in industry meetings. "I've seen a president who is listening and asking questions to get to how he can create a thriving economy," the official said.
The public Donald Trump, @realDonaldTrump, that emerges through his early morning tweets takes on a different tone - one that is uncompromising and demanding. LIke Tuesday, when he tweeted: I am working on a new system where there will be competition in the Drug Industry. Pricing for the American people will come way down! That pre-market tweet was enough to prompt a sell-off of drug companies.
Which leads us to Trump's agenda for today, Wednesday, March 8th, when the President is scheduled to meet with a group of infrastructure business leaders. The lunch meeting will include business leaders from real estate, management consulting, private equity, and at least one environmental group.
Two-Headed Strategy. This is a Trumpian pattern that we've seen the past 2 years - tell the people what they want to hear, then proceed with the administration's agenda, which may or may not comport with prior stated positions. It's one way that Trump seems to maintain the upper hand - by keeping everyone guessing as to his next move.