BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- Deutsche Bank ‘Beyond Repair’ as Trading Drops - Autonomous Research
- Guggenheim Partners CEO Might Step Down
- Wachovia Customer Sues Wells Fargo Over FundSource Losses - Bill Singer
- Credit Downgrade for Wells Fargo Due to Fake Account Scandal
- CFTC Commissioner Quintenz Named Sponsor of the Technology Advisory Committee
- Harbour and Geneos Customers Win FINRA Arbitration Against Stockbroker - Bill Singer
- Equifax Suffered a Hack Almost Five Months Earlier Than the Date It Disclosed
- The World’s Biggest Wealth Fund Hits $1 Trillion
- At Jefferies, Like Wall Street, Trading Cedes to Banking
- Ex-SAC Trader Who Pleaded Guilty to Insider Trading Just Remembered He’s Innocent
- JPMorgan Turns to Amazon for Retail 'Customer Experience'
- Goldman Sachs Names Ken Hitchner as New Chairman for Asia Pacific
- Judge All but Tosses SEC Case Against ‘Rogue’ Trader And Ex-FBI Informant Guy Gentile
- 'Boys are #1 Among NFL's Most Valuable Teams
- Fake Tax Returns - Your Next Worry After the Equifax Breach
- FINRA DR Recruiting Arbitrators, Mediators at Congressional Black Caucus Conference
- JPMORGAN: Here's who we think will replace Warren Buffett at Berkshire Hathaway
- Mueller to Search Facebook for Russia-Linked Accounts
- Mark Gomes, Market Analyst and Trade Scalper Settles with SEC
- Equifax Waives Credit Lock Fees For Consumers, Amid Criticism
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Donald Trump & Co.
Trump Fires Warning Shot Across the Bow of Republican's Listing Ship
[Photo: Trump Meets with Congressional Leaders / Screenshot from CNN Video]
by Howard Haykin
Like him or loathe him, Donald Trump should be commended for the deal. It was simple yet timely and deceptively effective. And the deal cost Donald Trump little in the way of political capital. After all, one way or another Congress was going to reach a consensus on those three provisions. They just did so on terms that Trump could live with.
In my opinion, here’s what Donald Trump accomplished:
- Trump established an air of independence from Republicans and Democrats on Capitol Hill.
- Trump recorded a victory.
- Trump successfully employed his self-proclaimed negotiating skills.
- Trump put Republican congressional leaders on notice that they had better work toward effecting his goals, or else.
- Trump gave the Democratic leaders a day to shine.
- Trump cleared space in the congressional calendar for more important matters – like tax reform.
That said, political pundits are now trying to discern if Trump’s collaboration “foreshadows a more sustained shift in strategy” by this president. In my opinion, the answer is NO! So, let's move on from here.