BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- Billionaire Investor John Paulson's Hedge Fund Is 'Rightsizing', And a Bunch of Senior Staff are Leaving
- 10 Years Ago a Wall Street Firm With $400Bn in Assets Collapsed. Why Bear Stearns Could Happen Again
- FINRA Disciplinary Actions for March 2018
- Ex-Deutsche Bank Trader Pleads Guilty Over Euribor Rigging
- SEC Proposes Transaction Fee Pilot for NMS Stocks
- FINRA Board of Governors Meeting - March 2018
- Winklevoss Twins Have a Plan to Police Cryptocurrency Trading
- Trump Picks Larry Kudlow as New Top Economic Adviser, Source Says
- A Decade On, Was Bear a Bad Deal for JPMorgan?
- Theranos, Its CEO and Former President Charged With Massive Fraud
- Wall Street's ‘Diva of Distressed’ Throws Her Funds Into Bankruptcy
- How a Former NBA #1 Draft Pick Went From $61Mn Fortune to Owing $157K
- Foreign Affiliates of KPMG, Deloitte, BDO Charged in Improper Audits
- Trump Fires Secretary of State Tillerson - Picks CIA Director Pompeo
- Credit Karma, Pre-IPO FinTech Company, Violated Rule 701 Disclosure Requirements - SEC
- Goldman Sachs' Schwartz Retires, Paves Way for Solomon as Next CEO
- Damning Emails: Trump's Lawyer Used Trump Organization Email in Hush-Money Negotiations with Porn Star Stormy Daniels
- 'Pharma Bro' Martin Shkreli Sentenced to 7 Years In Prison - Says 'This is My Fault'
- FINRA Investor Alert: Lost Property - Don't Be Escheated Out of Your Savings or Investments
- Analyst Dick Bove Calls Possible Blankfein Exit from Goldman 'Wonderful' News
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Donald Trump & Co.
Trump Fires Warning Shot Across the Bow of Republican's Listing Ship
[Photo: Trump Meets with Congressional Leaders / Screenshot from CNN Video]
by Howard Haykin
Like him or loathe him, Donald Trump should be commended for the deal. It was simple yet timely and deceptively effective. And the deal cost Donald Trump little in the way of political capital. After all, one way or another Congress was going to reach a consensus on those three provisions. They just did so on terms that Trump could live with.
In my opinion, here’s what Donald Trump accomplished:
- Trump established an air of independence from Republicans and Democrats on Capitol Hill.
- Trump recorded a victory.
- Trump successfully employed his self-proclaimed negotiating skills.
- Trump put Republican congressional leaders on notice that they had better work toward effecting his goals, or else.
- Trump gave the Democratic leaders a day to shine.
- Trump cleared space in the congressional calendar for more important matters – like tax reform.
That said, political pundits are now trying to discern if Trump’s collaboration “foreshadows a more sustained shift in strategy” by this president. In my opinion, the answer is NO! So, let's move on from here.