BROWSE BY TOPIC
- Investments - Unsuitable
- Investments - Strategies
- Investments - Private
- Investor Protection
- Bad Advisors
- Bad Brokers
- Boiler Rooms
- Regulatory Sanctions
- Wall Street News
- Rules & Regulations
- Terminations/Cost Cutting
- Compliance Concepts
- General News
- Donald Trump & Co.
- Big Banks
Stories of Interest
- Sarah ten Siethoff is New Associate Director of SEC Investment Management Rulemaking Office
- Catherine Keating Appointed CEO of BNY Mellon Wealth Management
- Credit Suisse to Pay $47Mn to Resolve DOJ Asia Probe
- SEC Chair Clayton Goes 'Hat in Hand' Before Congress on 2019 Budget Request
- SEC's Opening Remarks to the Elder Justice Coordinating Council
- Massachusetts Jury Convicts CA Attorney of Securities Fraud
- Deutsche Bank Says 3 Senior Investment Bankers to Leave Firm
- World’s Biggest Hedge Fund Reportedly ‘Bearish On Financial Assets’
- SEC Fines Constant Contact, Popular Email Marketer, for Overstating Subscriber Numbers
- SocGen Agrees to Pay $1.3 Billion to End Libya, Libor Probes
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Bitfinex Briefly Halts Trading After Cyber Attack
- SEC Names Valerie Szczepanik Senior Advisor for Digital Assets and Innovation
- SEC Modernizes Delivery of Fund Reports, Seeks Public Feedback on Improving Fund Disclosure
- NYSE Says SEC Plan to Limit Exchange Rebates Would Hurt Investors
- Deutsche Bank faces another challenge with Fed stress test
- Former JPMorgan Broker Files racial discrimination suit against company
- $3.3Mn Winning Bid for Lunch with Warren Buffett
- Julie Erhardt is SEC's New Acting Chief Risk Officer
- Chyhe Becker is SEC's New Acting Chief Economist, Acting Director of Economic and Risk Analysis Division
- Getting a Handle on Virtual Currencies - FINRA
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Investments - Private
A Broker’s Personal Email ……. Out of Your Mind
by Howard Haykin
It’s OKAY for a broker, who’s also a friend, to use person email when writing about strictly personal matters. However, it’s NOT OKAY for that broker to cross the line and use personal email for “talking” about business or business opportunities. Business matters must be conducted through the broker-dealer’s web site or email system - - - with few exceptions.
OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND, ... You’ve got to be OUT OF YOUR MIND to do business that’s initiated or conducted through a broker’s personal email - unless you are prepared (and knowledgeable enough) to conduct independent due diligence on investment opportunities - which most people are not.
Remember, when you signed up with a broker, you signed up with a complete brokerage team - a line of defense, a extra set of eyes and ears - that included bankers, analysts, financial product experts, compliance personnel and supervisors. To secretly deal directly with your broker means you have essentially thrown away your defenses - i.e., disregarded an infrastructure that is designed to protect you and other customers of the firm.
How so? How can you know if the broker’s information is complete and accurate, or whether it’s been vetted by experts. Additionally, how will you judge whether the promoted financial product adequately and suitably reflects your investment profile, financial needs and risk comfort levels.