BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- Sarah ten Siethoff is New Associate Director of SEC Investment Management Rulemaking Office
- Catherine Keating Appointed CEO of BNY Mellon Wealth Management
- Credit Suisse to Pay $47Mn to Resolve DOJ Asia Probe
- SEC Chair Clayton Goes 'Hat in Hand' Before Congress on 2019 Budget Request
- SEC's Opening Remarks to the Elder Justice Coordinating Council
- Massachusetts Jury Convicts CA Attorney of Securities Fraud
- Deutsche Bank Says 3 Senior Investment Bankers to Leave Firm
- World’s Biggest Hedge Fund Reportedly ‘Bearish On Financial Assets’
- SEC Fines Constant Contact, Popular Email Marketer, for Overstating Subscriber Numbers
- SocGen Agrees to Pay $1.3 Billion to End Libya, Libor Probes
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Bitfinex Briefly Halts Trading After Cyber Attack
- SEC Names Valerie Szczepanik Senior Advisor for Digital Assets and Innovation
- SEC Modernizes Delivery of Fund Reports, Seeks Public Feedback on Improving Fund Disclosure
- NYSE Says SEC Plan to Limit Exchange Rebates Would Hurt Investors
- Deutsche Bank faces another challenge with Fed stress test
- Former JPMorgan Broker Files racial discrimination suit against company
- $3.3Mn Winning Bid for Lunch with Warren Buffett
- Julie Erhardt is SEC's New Acting Chief Risk Officer
- Chyhe Becker is SEC's New Acting Chief Economist, Acting Director of Economic and Risk Analysis Division
- Getting a Handle on Virtual Currencies - FINRA
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Fired, Fined, Suspended for an Undisclosed Outside Brokerage Account
by Howard Haykin
A non-registered associated person with Goldman Sachs agreed to pay a $5K fine and serve a 45-day suspension to settle FINRA charges that, upon beginning his employment with this firm, he failed to disclose the existence of an outside brokerage account that he held at another broker-dealer.
FINRA FINDINGS. The individual joined Goldman Sachs in February 2015 and 18 months later he was terminated. [For the record, the individual had earlier worked for Goldman Sachs Execution & Clearing - from 2000 through 2011.] The termination was announced by the firm in its Form NRF (Non-Registered Fingerprint) Amendment filing - with no reason provided.
FINRA subsequently learned that this individual …
- upon joining the firm, had been one of 2 named trustees on a brokerage trust account (the "Trust Account") held at another broker dealer that had been open since at least 2006.
- was also a beneficiary of the Trust Account and was authorized to trade that account since its inception.
- certified on an Annual Compliance Questionnaire that he had “no brokerage or managed accounts held outside the Firm to disclose for myself or any related person."
Violations of NASD Rule 3050(c) ... which provides that "[a] person associated with a member, prior to opening an account or placing an initial order for the purchase or sale of securities with another member, shall notify both the employer member and the executing member, in writing, of his or her association with the other member."
NASD Rule 3050 further states that that if the account was established prior to the association of the person with the employer member, the associated person shall notify both members in writing promptly after becoming so associated. Paragraph (e) of Rule 3050 specifies that the requirements of paragraph (c) apply to accounts in which the associated person has either a financial interest or discretionary trading authority.
This case was reported in FINRA Disciplinary Actions for February 2018.
For details on this case, go to ... FINRA Disciplinary Actions Online, and refer to Case #2016051250001.