BROWSE BY TOPIC
- Investments - Strategies
- Investments - Unsuitable
- Investor Protection
- Regulatory Sanctions
- Investments - Private
- Rules & Regulations
- Bad Advisors
- Bad Brokers
- Boiler Rooms
- Wall Street News
- Terminations/Cost Cutting
- Compliance Concepts
- General News
- Donald Trump & Co.
- Big Banks
Stories of Interest
- Sarah ten Siethoff is New Associate Director of SEC Investment Management Rulemaking Office
- Catherine Keating Appointed CEO of BNY Mellon Wealth Management
- Credit Suisse to Pay $47Mn to Resolve DOJ Asia Probe
- SEC Chair Clayton Goes 'Hat in Hand' Before Congress on 2019 Budget Request
- SEC's Opening Remarks to the Elder Justice Coordinating Council
- Massachusetts Jury Convicts CA Attorney of Securities Fraud
- Deutsche Bank Says 3 Senior Investment Bankers to Leave Firm
- World’s Biggest Hedge Fund Reportedly ‘Bearish On Financial Assets’
- SEC Fines Constant Contact, Popular Email Marketer, for Overstating Subscriber Numbers
- SocGen Agrees to Pay $1.3 Billion to End Libya, Libor Probes
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Bitfinex Briefly Halts Trading After Cyber Attack
- SEC Names Valerie Szczepanik Senior Advisor for Digital Assets and Innovation
- SEC Modernizes Delivery of Fund Reports, Seeks Public Feedback on Improving Fund Disclosure
- NYSE Says SEC Plan to Limit Exchange Rebates Would Hurt Investors
- Deutsche Bank faces another challenge with Fed stress test
- Former JPMorgan Broker Files racial discrimination suit against company
- $3.3Mn Winning Bid for Lunch with Warren Buffett
- Julie Erhardt is SEC's New Acting Chief Risk Officer
- Chyhe Becker is SEC's New Acting Chief Economist, Acting Director of Economic and Risk Analysis Division
- Getting a Handle on Virtual Currencies - FINRA
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Non-ACAT Transfer Went AWRY - But Cover-Up Was Worse
by Howard Haykin
WHAT WENT WRONG. In December 2016, a customer initiated a non-ACAT transfer of $500,000 from an outside account to the customer's account at Vanguard. The broker on the account, who relied on the administrator to complete the transfer, followed up in February 2017 because the transfer had not yet hit the customer’s account. Rather than admit her mistake (forgetfulness), the administrator told the RR that the transfer would be processed that day.
Instead of transferring funds between the customer's outside and Vanguard accounts, the administrator transferred $500,000 from Vanguard’s clearance account into the customer's account. From that point through April 2017, the administrator engaged in a series of 9 additional transactions moving funds from the accounts of 5 customers and the firm in a failed attempt to conceal the $500,000 she took from Vanguard’s clearance account.
Needless to say, in order to process the 10 improper transfers, the administrator input false information into the firm's system, and the transfers were all made without the customers’ knowledge or authorization.
When approached about the transfers, the administrator opted to lie to the Firm, claiming the mistake was an error by another firm.
This case was reported in FINRA Disciplinary Actions for January 2019.
For further details, go to ... FINRA Disciplinary Actions Online, and refer to Case #2017055910201.