BROWSE BY TOPIC
- Bad Brokers
- Compliance Concepts
- Investor Protection
- Investments - Unsuitable
- Investments - Strategies
- Wall Street News
- Investments - Private
- Rules & Regulations
- Bad Advisors
- Boiler Rooms
- Terminations/Cost Cutting
- General News
- Donald Trump & Co.
- Regulatory Sanctions
- Big Banks
Stories of Interest
- Sarah ten Siethoff is New Associate Director of SEC Investment Management Rulemaking Office
- Catherine Keating Appointed CEO of BNY Mellon Wealth Management
- Credit Suisse to Pay $47Mn to Resolve DOJ Asia Probe
- SEC Chair Clayton Goes 'Hat in Hand' Before Congress on 2019 Budget Request
- SEC's Opening Remarks to the Elder Justice Coordinating Council
- Massachusetts Jury Convicts CA Attorney of Securities Fraud
- Deutsche Bank Says 3 Senior Investment Bankers to Leave Firm
- World’s Biggest Hedge Fund Reportedly ‘Bearish On Financial Assets’
- SEC Fines Constant Contact, Popular Email Marketer, for Overstating Subscriber Numbers
- SocGen Agrees to Pay $1.3 Billion to End Libya, Libor Probes
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Bitfinex Briefly Halts Trading After Cyber Attack
- SEC Names Valerie Szczepanik Senior Advisor for Digital Assets and Innovation
- SEC Modernizes Delivery of Fund Reports, Seeks Public Feedback on Improving Fund Disclosure
- NYSE Says SEC Plan to Limit Exchange Rebates Would Hurt Investors
- Deutsche Bank faces another challenge with Fed stress test
- Former JPMorgan Broker Files racial discrimination suit against company
- $3.3Mn Winning Bid for Lunch with Warren Buffett
- Julie Erhardt is SEC's New Acting Chief Risk Officer
- Chyhe Becker is SEC's New Acting Chief Economist, Acting Director of Economic and Risk Analysis Division
- Getting a Handle on Virtual Currencies - FINRA
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Paying Dearly for Small Expense Report Infractions
by Howard Haykin
A Sales Assistant with FBR Capital Markets travelled frequently and, therefore, submitted numerous expense reports each month. FBR's policies and procedures allowed for reimbursement of legitimate business-related expenses.
- The Firm's expense reporting system received certain information regarding charges directly from the credit card issuer – e.g., date, vendor, and amount.
- The submitter then provided additional information – e.g., business purpose of the expense and related receipts.
On 30 occasions between August 2012 and March 2016, … this Sales Assistant lost or could not find receipts for business-related expenses that qualified for reimbursement. In such situations, FBR's policies and procedures required him to provide handwritten documentation for expenses below a certain threshold and to obtain the grant of an exception for expenses above that threshold in order to be reimbursed.
Instead, he submitted receipts for personal expenses, such as personal taxi rides and meals, in close approximation to the time and amount of legitimate business-related expenses. He then entered a description in the Firm's reporting system for the personal receipt to match the legitimate, reimbursable business-related expense. In doing so, this Sales Assistant was reimbursed a total of $950.37 for personal charges to offset the business-related expenses for which he lost or did not obtain receipts.
WHAT WENT WRONG. This Sales Assistant paid dearly for falsifying his expense reports:
- On 6/15/16, FBR Capital Markets discharged (U5’d) him for ‘violation of firm policy related to expense reimbursement’.
- On 4/17/17, FINRA suspended him for failing to respond to FINRA request for information.
- On 7/5/18, FINRA fined ($5K) and suspended him (6 months) to settle charges he violated FINRA Rule 2010.
This case was reported in FINRA Disciplinary Actions for September 2018.
For details on this case, go to ... FINRA Disciplinary Actions Online, and refer to Case #2016050664102.