BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- Sarah ten Siethoff is New Associate Director of SEC Investment Management Rulemaking Office
- Catherine Keating Appointed CEO of BNY Mellon Wealth Management
- Credit Suisse to Pay $47Mn to Resolve DOJ Asia Probe
- SEC Chair Clayton Goes 'Hat in Hand' Before Congress on 2019 Budget Request
- SEC's Opening Remarks to the Elder Justice Coordinating Council
- Massachusetts Jury Convicts CA Attorney of Securities Fraud
- Deutsche Bank Says 3 Senior Investment Bankers to Leave Firm
- World’s Biggest Hedge Fund Reportedly ‘Bearish On Financial Assets’
- SEC Fines Constant Contact, Popular Email Marketer, for Overstating Subscriber Numbers
- SocGen Agrees to Pay $1.3 Billion to End Libya, Libor Probes
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Bitfinex Briefly Halts Trading After Cyber Attack
- SEC Names Valerie Szczepanik Senior Advisor for Digital Assets and Innovation
- SEC Modernizes Delivery of Fund Reports, Seeks Public Feedback on Improving Fund Disclosure
- NYSE Says SEC Plan to Limit Exchange Rebates Would Hurt Investors
- Deutsche Bank faces another challenge with Fed stress test
- Former JPMorgan Broker Files racial discrimination suit against company
- $3.3Mn Winning Bid for Lunch with Warren Buffett
- Julie Erhardt is SEC's New Acting Chief Risk Officer
- Chyhe Becker is SEC's New Acting Chief Economist, Acting Director of Economic and Risk Analysis Division
- Getting a Handle on Virtual Currencies - FINRA
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Wall Street News
Surge in Crypto Prices Plus Robinhood’s Free Crypto Trades: Cause for Elation, Caution or Concern?
by Howard Haykin
If you’ve been hiding under a rock, you may not have noticed that cryptocurrencies have skyrocketed in recent weeks. [see chart below] In less than 3 weeks, the price of Bitcoin has jumped 28%. But that figure pales compared to the rise of most other large cryptocurrencies. Bitcoin SV now trades at $204.06 (a whopping 262% rise), while Bitcoin Coin trades at $33.89 (a 66% rise).
This recent phenomenon has fueled sharp debate between critics and proponents of these alternative investments: Will Bitcoin reverse course and return to its 2018 closing price of $3,735, or will this rally continue and carry Bitcoin towards or beyond its 2017 closing price of $14,318? It's anyone's guess.
That said, the cryptocurrency markets are probably getting a boost from Robinhood Markets, which last year added crypto trading to its online app. This introduction is bringing new and younger investors into the crypto marketplace, while helping Robinhood grow. The broker-dealer has doubled its customer base and its transaction volume is now north of $100 billion. According to Bloomberg reporters Matthew Leising and Benjamin Bain, Robinhood’s entry into the crypto markets was facilitated by Jump Trading LLC, a little-known but profitable Chicago trading firm that benefited from being an early mover on cryptocurrencies. [see Bloomberg, 5/29]
Meanwhile, more well-known financial institutions, like Fidelity Investments, JPMorgan and ICE (owner of the NYSE) are taking serious looks at these nascent markets.
Note: Cryptocurrency prices courtesy of CoinMarketCap.com.