BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- Sarah ten Siethoff is New Associate Director of SEC Investment Management Rulemaking Office
- Catherine Keating Appointed CEO of BNY Mellon Wealth Management
- Credit Suisse to Pay $47Mn to Resolve DOJ Asia Probe
- SEC Chair Clayton Goes 'Hat in Hand' Before Congress on 2019 Budget Request
- SEC's Opening Remarks to the Elder Justice Coordinating Council
- Massachusetts Jury Convicts CA Attorney of Securities Fraud
- Deutsche Bank Says 3 Senior Investment Bankers to Leave Firm
- World’s Biggest Hedge Fund Reportedly ‘Bearish On Financial Assets’
- SEC Fines Constant Contact, Popular Email Marketer, for Overstating Subscriber Numbers
- SocGen Agrees to Pay $1.3 Billion to End Libya, Libor Probes
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Bitfinex Briefly Halts Trading After Cyber Attack
- SEC Names Valerie Szczepanik Senior Advisor for Digital Assets and Innovation
- SEC Modernizes Delivery of Fund Reports, Seeks Public Feedback on Improving Fund Disclosure
- NYSE Says SEC Plan to Limit Exchange Rebates Would Hurt Investors
- Deutsche Bank faces another challenge with Fed stress test
- Former JPMorgan Broker Files racial discrimination suit against company
- $3.3Mn Winning Bid for Lunch with Warren Buffett
- Julie Erhardt is SEC's New Acting Chief Risk Officer
- Chyhe Becker is SEC's New Acting Chief Economist, Acting Director of Economic and Risk Analysis Division
- Getting a Handle on Virtual Currencies - FINRA
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Wall Street News
With Cryptocurrency Markets 'Taking On Water', Industry Could Use an SRO
by Howard Haykin
Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss see self-regulation as the next step in their plan for legitimizing cryptocurrencies. Toward that end, the brothers, who run the Gemini exchange for trading Bitcoin and Ether, have a proposal to create the Virtual Commodity Association (VCA), a self-regulatory organization (“SRO”) that would police digital-currency markets and custodians. The non-profit group would aim to develop industry standards, promote transparency and work with regulators including the CFTC to prevent fraud.
The VCA would be a non-profit, independent regulatory organization that: (i) would not operate any markets, would not be a trade association, and will not provide regulatory programs for security tokens or security token platforms; (ii) will, however, be in compliance with global standards and best practices for SROs.
Regulators including the CFTC and the SEC heavily rely on self-regulatory organizations, or SROs, to help them monitor trading in everything from obscure swaps to shares in the biggest U.S. companies. The National Futures Association (NFA) and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), which are funded by the industry, serve that function. And at least one regulator, CFTC Republican Commissioner Brian Quintenz, has expressed praise for the Winklevoss plan:
“I congratulate Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss on their energetic leadership and thoughtful approach in outlining a virtual commodity self-regulatory organization (SRO) concept. I encourage Gemini (or any other market participant, advocacy group, platform, or firm) to be aggressive in promoting these qualities within any SRO construct.”
[For further details, click on Proposal for an SRO for the U.S. Virtual Currency Industry.]