BROWSE BY TOPIC
Stories of Interest
- This Family Bet It All on Bitcoin
- Clearinghouses Pass CFTC Liquidity Stress Tests
- President Trump Admits He’s Trying to Kill Obamacare. That’s Illegal.
- Trump Plunges Down List of ‘America’s Richest’
- Is Trump’s “Foreclosure King” in Over His Head?
- FBI Arrests NCAA Basketball Coaches and Adidas Rep in Bribery Probe Involving Recruitment
- Equifax CEO Steps Down Amid Hacking Scandal
- Litigation Costs to Rub Salt in RBS Investor Wounds
- RIAs Poised to Land Wirehouse Recruits - Dan Jamieson
- Citibank and U.K. Affiliate to Pay $550K Penalty for Swap Data Reporting Violations - CFTC
- AIG to Restructure into 3 New Units, Marking CEO's First Big Move
- Accounting Firm Deloitte Says It Suffered Cyberattack (subsc reqd)
- Upcoming FINRA Board Meeting and FINRA360 Update
- Elizabeth Warren Lifts Hold on Trump DOJ Antitrust Nominee
- Bigger Mergers Narrow Indy Reps' Options, Alter IBD Channel - Dan Jamieson
- Dentons to Merge with U.K.'s Murray & Spens
- BigLaw Hogan Lovells Announces Hundreds of Buyouts, Layoffs - Almost 500 Affected
- Faith-Based Advisor Censured for Selling Class A Shares to Clergy
- After FINRA Bar, CFP Board Suspends Texas Advisor
- iCapital Network to Acquire U.S. Private Equity Access Fund Platform from Deutsche Bank
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
Federal Agencies are Obstacles to Trump’s Plans for Overhauling Wall Street Rules
by Howard Haykin
Donald Trump has huuuge plans for overhauling Wall Street bank regulations. But to execute his agenda, senior officials have to be installed in key regulatory posts. And that ‘ain’t gonna happen’ any time soon, Let’s survey the field.
FEDERAL RESERVE. Donald Trump has yet to name his choice for the Fed’s top bank regulator – thought to be Randal Quarles, a veteran of the George W. Bush administration. Yet, before he can assume that position, Quarles must be vetted by the FBI and the Office of Government Ethics, and then confirmed by the Senate. Likely start date – Fall 2017.
OFFICE OF THE COMPTROLLER OF THE CURRENCY. The OCC is currently being run by Keith Noreika. Joseph Otting was nominated earlier this month for the top spot, but his confirmation hearings are likely to be contentious – owing to his time as an executive at OneWest Bank and that firm’s foreclosure practices.
COMMODITY FUTURES TRADING COMMISSION. Christopher Giancarlo, the acting chairman of the CFTC, is awaiting full confirmation before he can take on the role full-time.
FEDERAL DEPOSIT INSURANCE CORPORATION. Martin Gruenberg, an Obama appointee, intends to serve his full term, which expires in November. In the meantime, Treasury's plans to ease some of the restrictions around banks' trading, living wills and their adherence to international banking accords could face resistance from him, given his role in drafting many existing rules.
CONSUMER FINANCIAL PROTECTION BUREAU. Richard Cordray, Obama-appointed director, also intends to serve his full term, which runs until summer 2018. The CFPB, created in the wake of the financial crisis, receives its funding through the Federal Reserve and Trump can only fire Cordray "for cause," an almost impossible standard to meet. Cordray’s cooperation is needed to implement many of the Treasury’s recommendations for overhauling mortgage rules – and that is unlikely..