BROWSE BY TOPIC
- Bad Brokers
- Compliance Concepts
- Investor Protection
- Investments - Unsuitable
- Investments - Strategies
- Wall Street News
- Investments - Private
- Rules & Regulations
- Bad Advisors
- Boiler Rooms
- Terminations/Cost Cutting
- General News
- Donald Trump & Co.
- Regulatory Sanctions
- Big Banks
Stories of Interest
- Sarah ten Siethoff is New Associate Director of SEC Investment Management Rulemaking Office
- Catherine Keating Appointed CEO of BNY Mellon Wealth Management
- Credit Suisse to Pay $47Mn to Resolve DOJ Asia Probe
- SEC Chair Clayton Goes 'Hat in Hand' Before Congress on 2019 Budget Request
- SEC's Opening Remarks to the Elder Justice Coordinating Council
- Massachusetts Jury Convicts CA Attorney of Securities Fraud
- Deutsche Bank Says 3 Senior Investment Bankers to Leave Firm
- World’s Biggest Hedge Fund Reportedly ‘Bearish On Financial Assets’
- SEC Fines Constant Contact, Popular Email Marketer, for Overstating Subscriber Numbers
- SocGen Agrees to Pay $1.3 Billion to End Libya, Libor Probes
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Bitfinex Briefly Halts Trading After Cyber Attack
- SEC Names Valerie Szczepanik Senior Advisor for Digital Assets and Innovation
- SEC Modernizes Delivery of Fund Reports, Seeks Public Feedback on Improving Fund Disclosure
- NYSE Says SEC Plan to Limit Exchange Rebates Would Hurt Investors
- Deutsche Bank faces another challenge with Fed stress test
- Former JPMorgan Broker Files racial discrimination suit against company
- $3.3Mn Winning Bid for Lunch with Warren Buffett
- Julie Erhardt is SEC's New Acting Chief Risk Officer
- Chyhe Becker is SEC's New Acting Chief Economist, Acting Director of Economic and Risk Analysis Division
- Getting a Handle on Virtual Currencies - FINRA
We seek to provide information, insights and direction that may enable the Financial Community to effectively and efficiently operate in a regulatory risk-free environment by curating content from all over the web.
Stay Informed with the latest fanancialish news.
NEWSLETTERS & ALERTS
HD Vest’s New Parent Chooses Financial Guard to Power Robo
[Photo: Robo Advisor - by Peter Yang / Time.com]
Blucora, the technology company that acquired tax-centric broker/dealer H.D. Vest last year, has partnered with Legg Mason’s Financial Guard to provide automated advisory services to its tax preparation software customers. TaxAct customers will have the first go at the robo platform, and the company will introduce the platform to some 4,500 H.D. Vest advisors next year.
This tax season, TaxAct will offer filers a personalized financial assessment based on their tax situation. Through Financial Guard, users will then be able to open automated advisory accounts for IRAs and taxable investment accounts.
John Clendening, president and CEO of Blucora, said the firm’s advisors haven’t expressed concerns that the do-it-yourself offering would be competitive. Rather, Clendening believes it will be incremental.
He also expects it to be a lead generation opportunity for advisors. TaxAct currently has 5 million customers.
“If you look at the folks who choose [do-it-yourself] initially, it’s sort of a nursery, if you will, for H.D. Vest advisors,” he said. “What I mean by that is, you have a large pool of folks that, over time, are going to see their needs get more complex.
“They realize, ‘My financial situation got a little more complex here. I’d like to work with an advisor, an expert that I can talk with, in-person ideally.’”
And once the technology is made available to H.D. Vest advisors, it will allow them to serve smaller clients that they wouldn’t otherwise serve because they weren’t profitable.